6 WAYS OF ENHANCING THE ENERGY EFFICIENCY OF YOUR HOME

The world we live in today is characterized by technology and smart innovations. That means we need energy daily to power our smart home appliances and other energy needs. However, we still need to ensure we are living sustainably by minimizing our energy needs with all that innovation. If we made a slight eco-friendly change in how we live, the world would be greener and more friendly. One way is by improving the energy efficiency of our homes. If you are willing to make that one change towards how you use your energy, here is how to do it.

Purchases energy star appliances and products

Your appliances are the number one consumers of energy in your home. They make the difference between abnormally high energy bills and reasonable energy bills. If you want to save more energy, buy energy star products from refrigerators to bulbs. Energy Star is the qualification standard set by the EPA. An energy star qualified appliance saves from 10-50% of your energy and reduces greenhouse gas emissions. So, ensure you purchase energy star certified products.

Use the right type of generator.

We can’t talk of energy efficiency without mentioning power back up generators. Many homeowners have power back up generators installed to power their homes during power outages. In the last decades, generator manufacturers have strived to develop energy-efficient generators that do not waste fuel or pollute the environment. Investing in the right type of generator from Bellwood Rewinds and using it in the right way ensures you save more energy costs and maintain an eco-friendly environment in your home.

Perform an energy audit

One way to identify if your home is saving energy as much as it can is by performing an energy audit. A professional energy auditor evaluates the energy inefficiencies in your home and determines the wasted energy. He/she will inspect your home, appliances, and its exterior to identify areas where you need to save energy and where you need to improve. That way, you can initiate a good plan of action to make your home more energy-efficient.

Lower your thermostat

It is essential to lower your thermostat temperature when you are not at home—as simple as it sounds, lowering your thermostat by three to five degrees can make a huge difference in lowering your utility bills. For instance, lowering your thermostat temperature by 10-15degrees every time during working days reduces your energy bills by 10-15%.

Replace incandescent bulbs

Around 2014, manufacturers stopped making 60 and 40watt incandescent bulbs while 100 and 75watt bulbs had already been phased out. Compact Fluorescent bulbs (CFLs), halogen bulbs, and Light-emitting Diode (LED) bulbs provide perfect lighting and are more energy-efficient than incandescent bulbs. Switching to more energy-efficient bulbs is the absolute way to save more energy and contribute to an eco-friendly environment.

Avoid hot water whenever possible.

Whether you are running your dishwasher or laundry machine, avoid hot water whenever possible. Experts say that 90% of the energy used by your dishwasher is to heat the water, while the other 10% is what runs the machine. Using cooler water can save substantial energy costs.

The bottom line

There is always one or two practices you can do to increase your home’s energy efficiency to contribute to an eco-friendly living environment.

Leave a Comment

twenty two − 13 =